Friday, May 18, 2007

I hate the internet!





I have tried and tried to get it to work! Finally!!!!! 5th time is the charm. :(

1 comment:

Brian said...

Alyssa,

I don’t mind looking at flowers and plants, and if that is what you like, then I expect you will do them well! I like the four flowers/plants that you posted on April 29 (assignment 1.) You were using several of the composition properties before we had even discussed them. For example, all four are good examples of depth because of your closeness to the plant and a large aperture opening (shallow depth of field) That helped keep the backgrounds soft and less distracting. In two of the photos (purple buds and green vine) you composed the shot using thirds. Both of those images have more ‘movement’ in the image and a nicer sense of balance than the other two (white flowers and purple flowers) were you placed the subject close to the center of the frame. They are both more static. For the next assignment (May 9th) you have posted images that demonstrate some of the qualities/characteristics of design and composition that we discussed in the class. The poppy (?) is definitely filling the frame and it is nice that the main focal point is not exactly in the center of the frame. Putting it just a touch low, and to the right adds a bit of tension and keeps it from being stationary and ‘normal’. The red tulip photo does have a dominate/subordinate relationship among the blossoms, but it isn’t working like the other flower shots that you took earlier. The background is too sharp, too recognizable, and it completely distracts attention from where it SHOULD be (the flowers). It could be stronger if you had used a different perspective to remove or minimize the background or maybe if you used a larger aperture to keep the background out of focus. The classroom photo has a little humor in it (at least for me) and I can sort of tell that you tried to use some framing and maybe implied line as design elements.
The last four photos seem to be quite random and they do not meet the requirements for the assignment (light – see Blackboard). If you want to re-shoot the assignment you can do so (with no penalty) up to the week prior finals.